Monday, October 4, 2010

So proud of Reid!

I am so proud of Reid and I wanted everyone to know why...


First, he recently received his midterm grades and as you can see, he is doing amazingly well! He's always been a smart kid, but his tendency to be ornery sometimes overshadows (and I fear also gets in the way of) his academics. So you can imagine how excited we were to see his grades when he brought them home. (And we have received much fewer notes about his behavior this year so here's hoping it really IS a new year.)



And secondly, we had Elise's baptism this weekend, and surprise surprise, we were running late for church. Jeremy dropped the kids and me off at the front so we could run in while he parked the car. Well, church begins at 10:00am and we came running in at about 9:58. I was in such a hurry to get in that I jumped out of the car, made sure Sloane crossed the street safely, and then left her trailing behind me as I ran into the foyer to let them know we were here. (I even managed an Indiana Jones barely-slipping-through-the-closing-door-while-carrying-a-carseat-in-one-hand-and-diaper-bag-in-the-other maneuver to which some impressed random bystander commented, "Nice!" It must be that superhuman capability moms get when the need arises.) Anyway, when I looked back, I saw Sloane still outside, trying to make her way in, so I asked Reid to go get her and bring her in. Without messing around or getting distracted, he went right away and grabbed her hand and walked her over to me. He didn't run, he didn't knock her down, he didn't drag her by one arm across the floor (yes, we've had that one before); he just calmly took her hand and the next time I looked up, they were standing in front of me! Yea! Then, I realized I had my diaper bag, a blanket, and all this stuff (not to mention still had two kids with me) that I needed to get to our church seat, but I didn't have time to walk it all down to our seat and get back to my postition in the back of the church. So I put my super heavy diaper bag on Reid's shoulder, and quickly instructed him to take Sloane and the bag to our seat. Now you have to understand, asking my 7-year-old and 2-year-old (who is basically just a miniature version of her ornery big brother) to walk unsupervised down the center aisle of church is like asking someone to steal your clothes and make you walk through the mall naked. I'm talking embarrassement city here! Those two would undoubtedly result in an impromptu circus clown act, much to everyone else's amusement, but my horror. However to my relief and surprise, he didn't complain, look distracted, or anything. He just took the bag, grabbed Sloane's hand, and off they went, straight to their seats. I didn't have to run down the aisle to get them, I didn't have to pull him away from giggling with friends...they went right where they were supposed to go. Yea Reid! And then, as if it couldn't get any better, Reid sat in the row behind Jeremy and me in church, and shockingly, he actually SAT in church. Sat still and sat quietly. He didn't fidget. He didn't talk. He didn't fight with his sisters. He just SAT there! I couldn't believe it! He was so well behaved! (He told me later that he was tired so that's why he was acting like he was being good...he wasn't really being good, just acting like it because he was tired.) Oh well, whatever the cause, we'll take it. I was, and still am, so proud of his "responsible big boy" day yesterday. Yea for Reid!!


3 comments:

JMK said...

Wow! You have lots of reasons to be so very proud of Reid. Way to go Reid on straight As! That's awesome! I love the church story. I would have totally been sweating that out as well, but way to go Reid for stepping it up. We call that "being a leader" in our house, go leader! Sounds like the Baptism went well in terms of handling 4 children during Mass. I know exactly why you are so excited. I can just see Samuel and Caroline doing exactly what you were afraid Reid and Sloane might do--giggling their way down the aisle and fighting the their seats. So funny! I had no idea Sloane was a mini Reid! Do share more stories. So, tell us please about the "All Corpus" baptism dress! ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Grandpa and Grandma are also very proud of Reid...for an excellent job at school and at Mass for Elise's baptism. I was surprised to see Reid with Sloan and bulging diaper bag in tow composed and quietly standing beside me at the second row up front in church. And we too were so proud of Reid's outstanding behavior during Mass sitting and kneeling beside us without any correction needed, however, I did have to give him several eye winks which is a secret code between him and me(means "I love you"). Good job Reid!!!! Grandma

Anonymous said...

I forgot one important factor in bragging on Reid's behavior during Mass. He also resisted turning around to interact with his best friend who was sitting in the third row up front...the seat right behind us!!! Really good job Reid! We love you, Grandma and Grandpa