Monday, May 21, 2012

Day at the Zoo (the actual zoo, not our house)

Blair's class was going on a field trip to the zoo. Since I still have 2 little ones at home with me, I can't often make it on field trips. However, this was one field trip I could attend, while still taking the girls with me, so off we went. Unfortunately, it appeared to be "National Schools-at-the-Zoo" Day, so it was packed. I've never seen so many school buses at the zoo, or so many people. And because of the crowds, it was not quite as easy as I had hoped or anticipatd it to be to find Blair there. We were able to meet up with her for lunch, but then couldn't find her again until we accidentally ran into her in the bathroom before she boarded the bus to head back to school. So that was disappointing, but everyone still had a good time despite not being together.

This was Elise's first time to go since being aware of her surroundings and what she was seeing. She was completely awestruck by the rhinos, giraffes, and apes. She went right up to the fence with big giggles and "ohhhhhh!"s. It was cute to see her so excited.

 
Sloane wanted to see the frogs first, so we headed to the reptile house. While there, Elise kept holding her arms out wide saying, "Hug? Hug?" No, you can't give the snakes a hug.


The only time we got to spend with Blair.


This ape was such a ham. He sat there the whole time interacting with the kids. At one point, I thought he was trying to give someone a kiss through the glass, but on second glance, he may have just been eating a bug. Not quite as sweet.





They now have a deck where you can feed the giraffes. They come right up, lean over the fence and get so close to their feeders!
See the baby! So cute! I was surprised at the number of new zoo residents on this visit- -a new giraffe, elephant, okapi, chimp, tigers.





 

I usually don't visit the tigers because they're always so hard to find in their habitat. But on this visit, they were right out in the open, wandering around and hanging out.


2 comments:

JMK said...

What a fun day!!

Anonymous said...

How exciting to witness Elise's experience. Kids at the zoo are always a treat. Mom and Dad