Monday, May 14, 2012

Berd's birds

We noticed a robin had built a nest above our rain spout by the garage. Eagerly, we waited for something to happen. Finally, one day, it did!!


4/16

4/17
Robins lay one egg a day up to 4 days. The mama bird sits on them for 10-14 days so starting at day 10, we were checking every day.
 

4/27 (13 days after first egg was laid)
 Finally, some cracks! After the initial crack, it takes about 24 hours for the babies to fully hatch.


4/28
 Happy Birthday birdies! ...Or, uh, furry pieces of raw chicken? 

4/29 (2 days after beginning to hatch) 

4/30 (3 days old)
They're already getting bigger and more defined. Check out those eyes!

5/02 (5 days old)
Bigger and more feathers!
 

5/03 (6 days old)
On this day, we actually got to witness the mama come back to her nest with a long worm in her beak, and the babies open up wide. But I got so excited and shrieked that I scared her away.


5/05 (8 days old)
My goodness they grow fast.

5/08 (11 days old)
Already overflowing from the nest. 

5/09
I guess this is where the term "empty nest" comes from.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should of pulled an Alicia Silverstone and fed them lol

Kristy

JMK said...

Wow, so cool. It was like a science lesson! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! That is quite an interesting post. Hey, what happens to the egg shell after they hatch? You don't see any remains in the nest. And how does that baby soft skin handle the coarse twig nest...don't see anything soft in the bottom? ...just inquiring minds asking!!!! haha I bet the kids really enjoyed watching it all play out. We enjoyed the pictures. Love you.

Berd said...

I've read that they eat the egg shells because it has important nutrients and calcium and such. I'm not sure how their soft sensitive skin withstands the rough nest, though. Good question. Another interesting fact: notice there is no poop in the nest? I read the mama bird takes it out and carries it away to dump elsewhere.