Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Just some stuff...

One of the reasons I started this blog was so that I could jot down things the kids say or do, things that make me laugh, things I thought I would like to remember years and years from now. Well, I haven't been doing that great of a job of it. There's always things I tell myself "I want to remember that" but then I can't even remember it at the end of the day, much less next week or next year. So, I need to do a better job (assuming I can actually remember these things at the end of the night when I finally have some quiet time!). They may be boring to outsiders...well, you read my disclaimer above so read if you want to. Or don't. :)

The kids and I were talking about families today, and I was explaining relationships like sister, aunt, uncle, grandma/pa, etc. Reid looked a little puzzled when I told him that Grandma and Grandpa are Aunt Melissa's mom and dad, just like they're my mom and dad, and that I have 2 sisters just like he has two sisters and that I am an aunt, just like Aunt Melissa and Aunt Denise are aunts. He had a look of amazement on his face when I further explained that I am a sister AND an aunt AND a daughter AND a mom, and I told him that he is a brother AND a son and one day he would be an uncle. He would be Uncle Reid. And I turned to Blair and said, "And Blair, one day you'll be an aunt. You'll be Aunt Blair," to which she vehemently refused, saying, "No! I be Aunt Barbie!" ...sigh...that girl and her barbies...

On the same note, we went to the park the other day and of course, Blair wanted to wear her barbie (read, pink princess) dress. But she also insisted on wearing her tiara with it "so she would look special". And she was very upset when it fell off her head in the car and she couldn't find it because then she wouldn't "look special" at the park.

I've mentioned before how friendly Reid is... Well, today, we got family pictures taken at the mall. Reid immediately hugged the photographer (whom he's never seen before in his life), drew her several pictures which he insisted she put in her pocket and take home, hugged her before he left, asked the waitress at the restaurant what her name was before she could even get our drink order, asked the bus boy what his name was as he was setting down our chips and queso, shouts "HI!!!" at people walking down the street. I have to admit, it's a trait I love about him. And it goes to show how much babies learn from those around them, especially other kids. Twice now, when Reid has yelled Hi to someone walking past our house, Sloane has yelled "Hi!" and waved too! Her second word! (And I think it might have been Blair's first word when she was the same age, as she shouted Hi and waved to our neighbor.)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I think super friendly kids are awesome. What a fantastic trait to have in life, so definitely encourage that!

JMK said...

cute, cute behaviors and memories. I can't wait to see your family photos. Any special occasion?