I decided to drop him off this morning since it was his first day. I remember my mom or dad always driving me to school on the first day, so I just figured that's what you're supposed to do. (Plus, I kinda like to see him get in, see his new room, and all that stuff.) Well, I'm not sure why I thought I was needed on this day because he was definitely not having any separation anxiety. In fact, when we pulled into the parking lot, he jumped out and was trying to run into the school on his own while I was still getting the girls out of the car. "I can go in, mama. This is my own school!" he told me over and over. Then when we finally got into the school, he took off, pushing Sloane in the stroller all the way down the hall, directly to his classroom, while Blair and I trailed behind him. He pulled up to his classroom, parked Sloane's stroller at the door, ran in and found a seat and started coloring. I finally got down there, and had to call him back over to me just to give me a hug. Nope, no separation anxiety from this kid!
Quizzing him about his day only resulted in many "I don't knows", which was always my standard answer growing up. Yup, I am realizing what comes around goes around, which my mom gleefully pointed out as well. I am looking forward to his first "real" year of school. I hope he makes as many memories as I have from my kindergarten year.
I remember my first year of school so vividly that it's hard for me to believe that I'm old enough to have a kid going through that same experience. I remember registering for school and not being able to play on the playground because it was muddy from a recent rain. I can think back to walking in the first day of school with my mom, and seeing a lot of kids already in the room. I took a seat and my first assignment was to look through a magazine and cut out pictures of red objects and glue them in the circle that was drawn on the paper. (Ironically, Reid's first color and shape lessons are red and circle too.) I remember my teacher's reward system--earning marbles for good behavior and then getting to "buy" coloring books, toys, and other trinkets with your earned marbles (I even use that with Reid and Blair today). I can recall the moment I learned how to jump rope in P.E. class, all the steps finally clicking together, and singing the rainbow song in music class and holding up my colored card when we sang my color. (I can still sing part of that song today.) I also remember taking advantage of a substitue teacher one day and going across the playground to my best friend's class to play. (Who, me??) Yes, I got in trouble. I remember being so excited when I finally got a pair of under-roos, Strawberry Shortcake I believe, like many of my friends had, and everyone showing them off on the playground. So many good memories. I guess that explains why I still keep in touch with my kindergarten teacher from time to time...she came to my baby shower when I was pregnant with Reid! Man, I hope my memory never fails me...I'd lose so much! I better start writing my memoirs now while I still have it. :)
5 comments:
Wow, Berd those are some vivid memories! I do not remember nearly as much about Kindergarten as you do, at least I've never tried to remember. Yeah for Reid's great first day. I hope it's a super school year!
Oh and I have to say also that you and Reid both have cute Kindergarten pictures!
I threw up my first day of kindergarten. That's pretty much all I remember about the first day. But I'm happy Reid's day went much better! :) I hope his whole year goes just as well! (and you were such a cute kindergartener!)
can you believe you have a kindergartener? crazy to see how far we've all come. i don't remember the first day of kindergarten, just some later days. :)
I remember your first day of Kindergarten, too. It seems as though it was yesterday, yet now you have your own child starting kindergarten...making new memories. What fun. Love ya, Mom and Dad
Post a Comment