Obi Wan Kenobi
This was a store bought costume--or actually it was a garage sale costume that I bought for 50 cents last year just for Reid to play in. It just so happened that he wanted to be Obi Wan this year so it worked out perfectly! I made the cape though. And by "made", I mean "cut a piece of brown fabric and attached with a safety pin." He even had the braid that Obi Wan has! (You have to be a Star Wars geek to know what I'm talking about.)
Ariel, the Little Mermaid
We had the pink leotard, and the tail fins are a tutu that we already had. We made everything else and then sewed the tutu to the bottom of her mermaid legs. Blair had a lot of fun getting to help pick out her fabric and help sew it. Her job was to take the pins out of the fabric after the edges were sewn and put the pins in the pin cushion. I think she was most excited about getting to spray her hair red. Maybe about $10 in cost.
Darth Vader
Total store bought costume, and at the very last minute too! Lazy boy! :) We did already have the helmet/mask though. It changes your voice to sound like Darth and it makes a heavy breathing sound, so that was cool. Here's Darth Vader and his master Obi Wan.
I totally lucked out and found this dress at Goodwill for $5, and pink shoes that Blair picked out for $3. I used my petticoat from my wedding and bought silver sparkles and accessories from the dollar store to go with it and it came together perfectly! Blair made sure everyone knew that she helped me find that dress, so I need to give her the credit as well. All together, I think it ended up costing about $13!
As for the witch under the house, that's Elise!
I've always wanted to incorporate the stroller into one of the costumes, so I was excited about this idea. (The inspiration, by the way, came when I saw Blair, who happened to be wearing striped tights and her ruby slippers, laying under Jeremy's desk with just her legs hanging out.) The box was courtesy of Jeremy's office. A coat of white paint, black construction paper for the shingles and yellow tissue paper for the yellow brick road completed it. And yes, it had to have curtains. I'm obsessive, I know. $5 total.
And here's the little witch herself. I made her black dress out of some black fabric I had laying around. Not that a black dress was required for this costume, but I apparently have too much time on my hands. I also made her striped leggings, but that was because I couldn't find black and white striped tights, or even pants, in her size. I made them out of a shirt I found at Goodwill for 99 cents. And her ruby slippers were shoes I already had that I spraypainted red and added red glitter to. All for a grand total of 2 bucks! Yea!
And here's our Dorothy. She had already abandoned her ruby slippers by this time of the night. And forget about pigtails with blue ribbons. All she's interested in is candy. This was a dress that was handed down from my nieces, so it was free!
Ah, the ultimate battle between good and evil.
Our friend Will used his Goodwill-bought jumpsuit to be a Chilean miner. Here, he and Jeremy are reenacting a scene from Star Wars, minus the Chilean miner in the actual movie scene, of course.
Our friends Danielle and Isabella are fancy felines. As for everyone else that we trick or treated with, I either didn't end up with a picture--I don't know how that happens as I'm usually as bad as the papparazzi--or there are other kids in the shot that I don't feel comfortable posting without their parents' permission. So this is all you get to see! Happy Halloween!!


4 comments:
OK! You are the most a amazing costume designer I know! Your Halloween costumes this year are some of my favorite. I LOVE your Glena outfit complete w/ the shiny blond wig -- so perfect! LOVE the box on the stroller idea, it turned out adorable. Man, where do you get all your time? I'm beginning to feel like a huge time waster. What do I do all day long? Not making costumes, that's for sure. You and Jeremy are so great to dress up w/ your kids. They will always remember that. Way to go. Can't wait for next year.
Thank you! No, I don't have a lot of time. I just don't spend the time that I DO have wisely! :) That fact is obvious to anyone who walks in my pigsty of a house right now! ha ha snort
Great costumes as always!!
Kristy
WOW!!!!!!! Great job, I love them all. As always lots of creativity. I know you have fun with it all...and that's good. Get a maid to come in with all the money you saved on the costumes. I think that's a fair trade off. Love you all, Mom and Dad
Post a Comment