Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Meet Jack.

Jack O. Lantern. Yep, it's pumpkin carvin' time!

The night before Halloween, we went over to our friends Will and Danille's house to carve pumpkins. I love carving pumpkins. We carve them every year (except last year--I waited too long and then couldn't find one. I felt like such a scrooge!). But I remember carving them with my dad when I was little. We tried to make different faces every year. Turns out there are only so many geometric shapes you can use on a jack o'lantern's face. So needless to say, some years were cuter than others. Much cuter. I remember a few times, my parents would buy the REALLY big pumpkins. I checked them out this year, and they were $40! Did you really pay $40 for a giant pumpkin all those years, dad!?! Anyway, back to nostalgia...the second you cut open the pumpkin, that pumpkin smell just comes right back to you. As Will put it, "Ah, the smell of memories." Oh, and we roasted pumpkin seeds this year! That was my first time to try them--they were pretty good.

This year, everyone got to carve their own pumpkin. Only Reid, Blair and Jeremy actually carved theirs though. Elise's was just one of those teeny tiny ones that has no purpose other than to sit there and look cute. And Sloane's was oozing some sort of something--rotting pumpkin juice? I don't know, but it was obviously in bad shape when the lady told us we could have it for free--so we just left that one alone. And I must say, I was very impressed with the kids' work.

Reid, who had been fumbling around with a majorly loose tooth for over a week, ended up with a self portrait pumpkin.
 
By the way, that's a pumpkin up there, not his head. Hard to tell the difference with his giant noggin.


Jeremy made a skeleton which, judging by his expression, he is awfully proud of.

Blair drew the face exactly as she wanted it, complete with hair, and then I carved it for her. I think it's supposed to be a girl, but I think it looks like a scarecrow. She got a little excited with the pen though, and after drawing the facial details, scribbled all over it. It looks much better in the dark.



Yep, even the baby gets involved.


The final products. Oooo, spooky.

1 comment:

JMK said...

Can I borrow Elise for a few days? She is too sweet! I want a ...........wait, nevermind :). You have such a sweet little family, love all their pumpkins. Way to go on Blair's pumpkin, it's my favorite. Fun memories.