Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Feeding the Ducks

I remember when Reid and Blair were little...I did so many outings with them. We went to the park, the spray ground, the train museum. Maybe it was because I was home with them all day every day (there was no school yet), and we had to find something to fill our time. But with Elise and Boston, I feel like I rarely do anything fun with them. It's too hot, we're too busy, the day is over before I know it, and honestly, after years of all that, I'm a little trained and duck-feedinged and libraried out. But, I forget it's new and exciting to them. So I have made it my goal to do fun things with them while the weather is nice. So today, we fed the ducks (which was in a park and next door to a library so we crossed 3 things off our list! Oh, and had a picnic. Four!).

Boston was not a fan of the ducks and geese swarming him and honking in his ear. I guess I wouldn't be either if they were almost as tall as I am.

Elise, on the other hand, loved them and was chasing them.
 
You can see a hand and white patent church shoe creeping up on this unsuspecting goose. 



Soon, he discovered he liked them when they were on the other side of the pond.

See, beaks at eye level is not so exciting.
 
So this is where he stood to stay away from them. 
 
 And this was her safe haven from which to feed them.

"My people, come before me..."

Finally, he realized it was fun (and safe) to throw bread to them. I'm happy he decided to try it and that he had fun.
 

Eventually, some babies came over to see what was going on. The mamas were extremely protective and kept hissing at anyone or anything that looked their direction. If you look closely, you can see the back one with her mouth open in a "Hissssssss, you better back off!" sort of way.
 
 This wasn't even one of the parents. Guess she was just being moody. She does look a little crazy with that crazy eye...


I even had enough foresight to plan a picnic lunch!

 

 After lunch, we got to play on the 150 degree slide.
 
 He's into the big boy swings nowadays.
 
 
 Look at that little shadow. Love it.

She must have had fun because she even posed for pictures for me.

(Side note about that shirt: when choosing what to wear for today, she asked, "Should I wear my 'keeping cool by the pool' shirt or my 'girls rule, boys drool' shirt?" I just like that she knows, in fact, that girls do rule and boys do drool.)
 

 
 

1 comment:

JMK said...

Aw I miss those days of planned activities!!