Monday, May 16, 2011

The Day the Wind Beat Us

Reid’s school participated in a track meet at a neighboring school a couple weeks ago. We called them Play Day when I was in school, and it was the best day of the whole school year. I loved the Old Clothes Race, where you had to run to the mark, put on a bunch of oversized clothes and then run back. I also remember one about a cup of water…but I don’t remember what you had to do with it though…run with it and fill up a bucket, maybe?…pass it back and forth?…I just remember getting soaked which was just what we needed for those hot sunny days. Oh and the Sack Race! Who doesn’t love a good ol’ fashioned sack race? I also remember my parents going to watch and cheer me on (random memory: one year, I remember seeing my dad, with his long telephoto lens resting against his shoulder, walking across the field to find a spot to take pictures. A classmate of mine said, “Look! He’s carrying a gun!” …I told you it was random.) Anyway, Jer and I now find ourselves as the ones going to hoot and holler.
At last year’s track meet, it started out as a chilly, breezy day so I underestimated the power of the sun and its rays. I ended up with the worst sunburn I’ve ever had. It hurt so bad, I pushed away the kids when they tried to hug me, and I couldn’t even raise my shoulders to hold the phone against my ear. So I was prepared for the sun this year, and vowed it would not take me down again. However, what I was NOT prepared for was the extreme wind. If you were standing still and didn’t have a wide foot base, you would get blown over. Seriously. It was blowing about 40mph all day, with wind gusts in the 50s. If I didn’t put the brakes on the stroller, it would start rolling away. But despite the hurricane, the kids had fun, and I guess that’s what it’s all about.
Reid placed 1st in the Sack Race. (I think it’s adorable how his classmate is jumping up and down cheering him on!)
IMG_2012
2nd in the Spoon Race. (gray shirt)
IMG_2005
And 3rd in the Standing Long Jump. (I didn’t get a picture because Elise was crying too much due to the pounding wind.)

He also participated in the 3-Legged Race, the Hoop Shot, Golf Putting, and several dashes and relays.
IMG_1989

IMG_2027

The following week, he had a track meet at his school. I wasn’t able to make it because Blair was home sick that day, but he came home with 3rd place ribbons in the 200 and 300 meter relays, a 5th in the sack race, and mystery 3rd and 4th place ribbons. We don’t know what they’re for and he doesn’t remember. Since no one in our family possesses any gifts of speed, we’re pretty sure he didn’t get them in any of the dashes. So it must be the long jump or the one of the softball throws.

1 comment:

JMK said...

How fun! Way better than Julia's field day -- nothing like some competition to make it more exciting! Way to go Reid on all those ribbons! I know your mom will save them FOREVER :).