The next morning, as I was being served in bed with a beautiful plate of eggs surrounded by a fortress of bacon, I was wished not only a Happy Mother’s Day, but also Happy Valentine’s Day, and serenaded with Happy Birthday. I had no idea it was such a special day! (The one appropriate greeting that WAS expected, however, was Happy Anniversary, as it marked 15 years of Jeremy and me being together!)
However, because the kids couldn’t let even this morning go by without fighting, shoving and grabbing, our breakfast in bed was short lived and we we ended up at the dining room table before heading off to church.
Since it was a beautiful day, my only Mother's Day request (after not bathing the kids, getting to sleep in, having time to myself, taking a nap, and relinquishing all parental duties for the day, of course) was to spend the day outdoors. So, later in the afternoon, we ate dinner lakeside and then spent time walking around the lake. Due to the massive drought, the lake level is really low, so we were actually able to climb down into the lake and walk out on the lake bed quite a ways out.
See all that dirt—that should be covered up by water. (You can see the lines of the normal lake level on the rocks by the lighthouse.)
The kids (unsuccessfully) tried their hand at skipping rocks but (successfully) caked their feet--and shoes--in mud.
Look how far into the lake we were! We found really cool shells and a couple not-so-cool dead fish.
It was a perfect day.
PS While rummaging around old posts, I found this picture of the "normal" lake level. What a difference!
1 comment:
What a marvelous Mother's Day!! Way to go to the kids and Jeremy! Love the family photo, although I'm thinking Elise is a little hungry! (BTW, she's grown just since I saw you).
Post a Comment