Friday, June 3, 2011

A Butterfly-Munchin’ Princess Frog Party

P1020770Ever since her big sister’s birthday party back in January, Sloane has been busy planning her own. When asked what kind of birthday party she wanted, she always replied a Butterfly Party. Well, anyone who knows me knows that whenever I can, I try to override the kids’ theme choices with something more original and creative (read: something *I* feel like planning), but because Jeremy always gives me a hard time about that, I decided I would honor Sloane’s decision this year. So I began researching all things butterfly and set the plans in motion for a fluttering extravaganza.

I found some paisley stickers at the dollar store and loved their designs and colors, so I scanned them, arranged them, and they became the butterfly for my invitation.
image
Well, about 3 weeks before the party, Sloane suddenly started saying she wanted a frog party. You see, she’s had this thing for frogs ever since they started hopping onto our porch last summer, but by this time, it was too late in the game to change the plans. I mean, for once, I was actually ahead of schedule in my party plans! So I continued with butterflies. And where there’s butterflies, there’s usually flowers.
IMG_2429IMG_2390IMG_2445IMG_2389 (2)
The flower garland was made from super easy templates found in Family Circle magazine (with tissue paper from dollar store). And this gigantic flower wall hanging proved to be just the right amount of busy work for Reid. The flower balls are whiffle balls covered with silk flowers and silk butterflies—all from, you guessed it, the dollar store! :)

Blair made this butterfly at school and let me use her little friend to greet everyone who fluttered in.
IMG_2425 (2)IMG_2424
Her butterfly was the inspiration for a craft station where the kids could make their own coffee filter butterflies. In early test runs, we used markers to color designs on coffee filters, then sprayed the filters with water to make the colors run. After they dry, you cinch it in the middle with a clothes pin or pipe cleaner and voila, your butterfly is complete. However, setting out a spray bottle of water is just way too tempting for a house full of young kids, so we went with crayons and colored pencils instead. It still had the same effect.
IMG_2427IMG_2426

So as I mentioned earlier, Sloane started saying she wanted a frog party… Not wanting to disappoint, Jeremy, our resident cake chef, decided he would incorporate a frog into a butterfly cake in any way he could. After much brainstorming, this is what he came up with: a cake with a butterfly…being eaten by a frog. 
IMG_2381P1020767
This was his first time working with fondant icing, and we found that it’s very tricky to get it just right. But we were proud of this first effort and are excited to try to perfect it in all the many cakes to come.
IMG_2382IMG_2401IMG_2395
(Yes, we have another child, but she was being grumpy and wouldn’t get in the family picture.)

IMG_2419IMG_2397
IMG_2428IMG_2431IMG_2438
At the end of the party, each guest left with a candy butterfly (snack bag filled with candy and cinched with a clothes pin).
IMG_2393

3 comments:

JMK said...

You and Jeremy are seriously amazing in your party planning for many reasons-- I mean gosh you have 4 young children yet you still have these perfectly planned children's parties, all while making it look effortless. And the cakes are to die for. Seriously, a frog eating a butterly. How did he make the tongue. I may just have to fly you all out one year :). We'll celebrate all my kids in one day! One giant, magnificent cake! Start brain storming! I caught up on all the blogging. Your new 3 year old is just as cute as can be! Fun times!

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable party and theme, WOW!!! And we were there to experience it all! Thanks for having the party the weekend before her birthday. I didn't know you made the butterfly design on the invitations, WOW! And of course, the "up till 4:00am" frog cake...what can I say, I'm speechless. It was totally unbelievable, perfect in every way, competition ready, adorable... Can't wait to see the next one, Jeremy! Fun party, fun times. We are thankful to be a part of it all. Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Lucky for you to have found the super easy templates in Family Circle magazine for the flower garland...how did you ever acquire the magazine...????ha, ha!!!
Mom